4. Give an example of a scale that would be reliable but not valid. Also give an example of a scale that would be valid but not reliable.
An example is a bathroom scale. If a person is weighing 100 kilograms and the scale reads 100 each time the person steps on it, then this scale is reliable but not valid. If on the other hand the scale give different readings such as 30, 90, 50, 97, etc., the scale is valid and not reliable (Reliability (statistics)).
9. Develop a purchase intent scale for students eating at the university’s cafeteria. How might the reliability and validity of this scale be measured? Why do you think purchase intent scales are so popular in commercial marketing research?
The students may evaluate the types of food in the cafeteria and answer some questions such as now how likely is it that you would purchase this type of food? That is would you say that you definitely buy, probably will buy, may or may not, probably will not buy or definitely will not buy?
The validity and reliability of the purchase intent scales can be measured by identifying the purchasing behavior and determining the price bands. The purchase behavior can be determined by asking the students to choose the entities that they would buy (QuestionPro Blog).
The purchase intent is popular because of its ability to convert the purchase intentions into the purchase probabilities by making use of the survey data on the purchase intentions of the consumers and changes them to actual purchase probabilities. These scales have good predictive abilities.
4. Assume that you are developing a questionnaire about a new sandwich for McDonald’s. Use this situation to outline the procedure for designing a questionnaire.
The procedures of designing a questionnaire include (Questionnaire design).
- Define the survey’s objectives.
- Determine the sampling group.
- Write the questionnaire.
- Administer the questionnaire.
- Interpret the results.
9. What’s wrong with the following questions?
A. How do you like the flavor of this high-quality Maxwell house coffee?
There a punctuation mistake. The word House and coffee should begin in capital letters because we are talking about a specific thing, that is, the coffee which is already known to us
B. What do you think of the taste and texture of this Sara Lee coffee cake?
There is the wrong use of the preposition. We think about a thing but not of a thing such as taste as well as texture. It is pertinent to note that we think of a person. For instance, I always think of you my dear friend.
C. We are conducting a study for Bulova watches. What do you think of the quality of Bulova watches?
There is wrong usage of preposition in these two sentences. First, we do not carry a study for Bulova watches. This will imply that the study is conducted on behalf of watches. In this case watches have been personified. We conduct a research on watches. Finally, we think about a something but not of a thing.