Admission essays are required by most universities and colleges as part of the application process. Additionally, these essays are often required with applications for scholarships. Usually, an admission essay is submitted along with evidence of the applicant’s exam scores and grades. Typically, admission essay questions require the applicant to provide some personal information to enable the board to learn about them e.g. their philosophy on life, academic goals, important events in their lives, their financial circumstances, and so on. The act of writing an essay like this provides an opportunity for you to distinguish yourself from other candidates and to prove your worthiness.
Some Things you Should Bear in Mind when Writing an Admissions Essay
- Think about what exactly it is the question is asking. Then, make a list of key ideas and use these to create a rough essay outline.
- Make sure your essay in not generic i.e. one that is standard or similar to one that other candidate’s might write. Every aspect of your admissions essay should speak about you as an individual and your uniqueness. At the end, those reading your essay should feel they personally know you.
- Always keep in mind that an admissions committee is looking for candidates who will fit into their institution i.e. one who matches their mission, and is worthy of consideration. Your essay should be tailored with these expectations in mind so you must convince your readers you are suitable.
- Draw on your resourcefulness if you find it difficult to come up with ideas. Ask friends or family how they would describe you. Re-read any recommendation letters that have been written on your behalf. Which of the achievements from your resume might the committee be interested in?
- Avoid repeating factual information from other parts of your application such as the information in your resume. Your admissions essay should be based on particular events and solid examples.
- Try not to use overly long or ambiguous words and fancy vocabulary as a means of impressing your readers. This might appear showy and artificial.
- Adhere to the guidelines you are given in relation to length (number of words/pages), font style and size, and so on. In some cases, these essays need to be typed while in other cases they need to be hand-written. On some occasions, the essay should be included in a designated space on an application form and on other occasions, it should be typed or written separately. Regardless of how wonderful your essay is, it will make a poor impression or may even get you disqualified if you fail to heed the instructions you were given.
- The overall appearance of an admissions essay is crucial. Words should be spelled correctly, all punctuation and grammar rules should be obeyed, and your paper should be neat in its presentation. Members of the admissions board might not meet or see you in person so this all-important essay may be the one and only basis on which you are chosen. Although it may be untrue or unfair, an error-laden and messy essay can indicate a candidate who is poorly qualified and does not care.
- Remember to save your written work! It is quite acceptable to use the same (modified) essay – or ideas from a previous essay – for numerous applications. However, it should be revised for each new situation so that it specifically addresses variations in topics and/or questions. While an essay may be re-used for different purposes, your readers should feel it was originally crafted in response to their particular question(s)!
Admissions Essay for Medical School
Almost every medical school expects to admit students who are bright, empathetic, enthusiastic, and communicative. One of the top “selling” factors is a great MCAT score, but there are other factors that admissions committees look for. They want to get to know the real you and what makes you want to qualify as a doctor. Think of an admissions essay as a chance to convey your unique personality to the school’s admissions officers.
Emphasize Your Specific and/or Unique Personal Characteristics
Anyone who practices medicine should be able to work well with patients and others in their profession because there is a lot at risk and no one individual can succeed on their own. Say what it is that makes you good at teamwork. In writing an admissions essay for medical school, make sure you mention the following important qualities:
- Diligent and hardworking
- Operates with honesty and integrity in all undertakings
- Ability to persevere
- Excellent problem solver
- Good critical thinker
Say What Motivates You
An admissions essay is a good opportunity to demonstrate to an admissions board why you want to study medicine. Describe the things that helped you develop in a personal, professional, and intellectual way.
Describe any events that made you interested in medicine and helped you develop the skills that will make you a good student of medicine and, ultimately, a good doctor. Personal experiences are a great way for an admissions board to get to know you as a person. Your past experiences of life have more impact than declarations about your future aspirations since your readers cannot predict if you will achieve these.
Base Your Essay on Honesty
Be genuine in the reasons you give for wanting to become a doctor. Admission essays are often used as the basis for interview discussion and questions. This will be a lot easier if you have written about events and experiences that are meaningful to you and you will be able to discuss these confidently, truthfully, and with passion. Admission boards are more attracted to potential medical students who are intelligent and articulate. Avoid the temptation to exaggerate your achievements because these may be challenged in an interview and you may be faced with questions you cannot answer.
Avoid Sounding Pompous
When writing an admissions essay, your aim at this stage is to “sell” your suitability to the school(s) you are targeting. Show the strong points in your personality without sounding overly-confident or arrogant. One mistake a lot of candidates make is dwelling too much on their excellent grades, on any honors they received, and their superior intellect. While this may point to the writer being academically superior, the reader wants to get to know the person rather than their academic capabilities. Remember, they will have already seen your school record and they now want to understand you as a person.
There are various approaches you can take to writing your essay but the important thing is to get readers’ attention. It is acceptable to be philosophical, serious, or even humorous. It is best to show your true self and allow your unique character to shine through.
Try to Write an Interesting Essay
Try to make sure your essay is interesting so that readers are engaged throughout. Do not make the mistake of thinking an admissions board will have lots of time to read your essay. Remember they will have hundreds of essays to read so you need to ensure yours stands apart from the rest. If your essay is generic, your readers will not feel inspired by it and you may miss out on getting admitted. Avoid words and sentences that are overly long and complicated. While you may think these are impressive they often cause readers to lose interest. Choose a style of writing that is easy to read and a length that is reasonable.
Give Your Essay a Final Polish
The field of medicine is a scientific one, but it is also important to demonstrate you are a good communicator. Once you have completed your essay, proofread it to make sure the structure is coherent, that the words flow smoothly, and that every point is presented in a clear and effective way. This additionally shows the writer has excellent communication skills, which are important given that effective written communication is essential for a career in medicine.
Free Admission Essay Sample to Read
Academic Writing Services Are Here to Help
We are proud to declare that Great-Essays.com is the best choice for each student. Our professional team of writers guarantees to assist you in academic writing. Academic writing service at Great-Essays.com delivers any custom essay of high quality to all the undergraduates. We comprehend that infinite process of writing an academic essay could be a definite burden for a learner. Moreover, if you are going to complete all the tasks at one time, you will never get perfect results and positive feedback from your tutor. Why would you risk doing important tasks half-heartedly when there is a reliable academic writing service that is ready to assist you online? Undoubtedly, you do need to worry about your marks and the whole educational career! Be sure, our professional team of specialists will always provide you with a perfect academic writing help.
Our team is comprised of skillful researchers and writers, who hold Master’s, Bachelor’s, and PhD degrees. Contact us right now in order to buy a custom essay on any topic written from scratch by professionals. Remember, Great-Essays.com does not want learners to pay a fortune. Therefore, we guarantee an academic writing help at a cheap price, affordable to each of you. Great-Essays.com has created a friendly professional team that wants you prosper in all your studies.
From the beginning of our cooperation, any undergraduate will be guided by his/her own personal adviser. From the moment you place an order, your assignment is chosen by one of our best writers. Great-Essays.com is proud to claim that we offer assistance in academic writing 24/7 online.
You understand that academic writing is a type of writing that cannot be completed without a proper experience and awareness about the certain topic, since in your academic writing you should make a valid research in order to create a perfect essay. Academic writing requires a specific topic, a proper format, particular writing style, and an essay structure that should be precisely followed. No one is good at academic writing. In order to become the best academic writer there is an urgent need of learning and practicing. This process requires time and efforts. Therefore, it is very hard for any undergraduate to complete excellent academic writing. We guarantee you such academic writing help that will resolve any educational problem. Right now, you can place your order and buy a unique and non-plagiarized admission essay written from scratch by our writers at a cheap price. If you are ready to pay for a custom admission essay, then you may choose us as a reliable academic writing service.
Great-Essays.com provides you with one of the best academic writing services on the market for the modern generation of students. Our academic writing service brings you an opportunity to get a custom admission essay at a cheap price online. Remember, our writers are highly skilled in completing an academic essay of any subject on any specific topic. Do not worry about your difficult high school/college/university assignments since we are here to assist you. All we need is your instructions and deadline.
Great-Essays.com guarantees to provide you with the professional academic writing help 24/7. You can place your order at any time using our website. Also, you can call or leave us a message and our Customer Support Team will respond. Today, you do not need to think about an academic writing since we have created our academic writing service especially for you to get a high quality custom admission paper. Our specialists will create an ingenious and exclusive essay that will be free from any mistakes and plagiarism. You do not need to worry about meeting short deadline since our specialists are able to write a high quality essay in short time. Do not hesitate to visit us online, and you will definitely prosper in your educational career.